The need for better ways to get around Manila has never been more intense this year with the COVID-19 pandemic. Roads like EDSA have received as much as 100,000 people on bikes traversing it in June 2020 in light of the recent community quarantines that restricted public transportation. Given the pandemic, we beg to ask: How bike-friendly can your city, workplace, or establishment get? Welcome to the first-ever Mobility Awards!
The Mobility Awards is a platform conceived by the Institute for Climate and Sustainable Cities (ICSC), MNL Moves, The Climate Reality Project – Philippines, and 350.org Pilipinas. It aims to recognize Metro Manila-based entities that promote biking to work among its constituents, clients, and communities.
These entities form the three categories for the Mobility Awards, namely:
- Bicycle-friendly local government units (LGUs) in Metro Manila;
- Bicycle-friendly workplaces; and,
- Bicycle-friendly commercial establishments.
Several factors will be relevant in terms of judging these categories. Some of these factors include the presence of bike-related infrastructure like bike lanes, LGU policies / ordinances, facilities, and other programs.
Some guide questions you might have in mind might include these ones below. Can you form other questions that can guide you?
- Maybe the road you take on your daily #bike2work has a wide and secured bike lane?
- How responsive is your sangguniang bayan or city council when it comes to addressing bike-related concerns and enacting relevant ordinances?
- Does an office offer a bike loan program, perhaps?
- Does your go-to grocery store provide secure and well-lighted bicycle parking (with ample slots)?
- Who wouldn’t want to work where there is a usable shower room? 😉
Let’s start nominating!
What are you waiting for? Nominations for the Mobility Awards have already started last 22 September, World Car-Free Day! Begin nominating your bike-friendly city, place or work, or establishment. There’s no limit to the number of nominees you may make! Deadline will be on 22 October 2020.
For more information, you may visit the official site at mobilityawards.ph. Queries may be sent to email@example.com.